• IP Copied!
    Click to Copy IP
  • Our Discord
  • The Hostel Project (free temporary housing for new players)

ncore!

Settler
    Legend
    I am working on a free temporary housing project for new players and need assistance in gathering the required resources.

Here is a video I made (I have never done one with live audio recording, so sorry if I am not a good speaker):

The basic concept is that, instead of giving residence access to claims, they gain access to their individual rooms with permissions set to access a trapped chest. This way they can still have a save and private room while allowing the room to be easily taken over by other future residents.

The first floor would contain free automatic resource harvesters for crops that wouldn't require block replacement (sugar cane, melons, etc...) as well as other stations such as for indoor fishing (with protective measures to prevent death by 'traps'). The outside area to the rear would contain a separate claim with crops such as wheat, carrots, etc... and would allow block placement, relying on the honor system that players would actually replant their crops and maintain the facilities.

I do have a decent bit of money, all of which I am willing to dump into this project, but if you would be willing to donate either resources or money for the project I would appreciate it (I keep note of what all I spend and receive, surplus would either be distributed back to the donors or distributed amongst the new residents).

The resources I am in great need of:
    -Stone (for walls, slabs, and repeaters)
    -Andesite (for corner and foundation pillars)
    -Glass (for windows and skylights)
    -Glowstone (for lighting)
    -Redstone (for contraptions)
    -Iron (for doors and other blocks)
    -Wood (for chests and other blocks)

Everything else I use is acquired on a per-item basis, and I don't normally try to keep a supply of.

Suggestions are also appreciated, thanks!

Garrieth

Legend
    Nice concept! I was planning to do one of those also in the future, free housing for new players on my island :)

ncore!

Settler
    Legend
    Garrieth: nothing wrong with more free housing! The more newcomers that are assisted the better, I think :)

Just an update: I finished the 8 resident's rooms of the second floor, and am going to work on (and will try to finish) the first floor rooms and automatic farms. I also added staircases to the sides to replace the ugly middle staircase I have.

I also decided that the eight 1st floor "public facilities" will consist of:
    -1x repair/enchantment room
    -1x building policy and assistance room (rules and regulations, etc...)
    -1x indoor fishing pool with [attempted] anti-trap measures
    -1x chicken egg farm (may try to incorporate an auto chicken cooker as well)
    -2x semi-auto sugar cane farm (will be primarily to generate wealth for the new players)
    -2x semi-auto melon farm (for a simple, stack-able food source)

Also, as opposed to relying on honorable players to properly harvest/plant crops and not destroy what would be unprotected as a result, I might try to do something with villagers to automate the process. I am still brainstorming on this one, but won't bother with this until the main building itself is complete.

Here are some progress pics:

The outside front so far (currently no decorative exterior, missing blocks, etc...) with the side staircases and soon to be removed middle staircase:

Second floor from the balcony (I still have to add rails and such, oah almost fell off during the tour... ignore the random chest):

Outside of the Enchant/Repair & Public Chest box (for players to dump items they don't need but other's might find useful):

Inside the Enchant/Repair room:

View of the public sugar cane farm (looks a little weak-sauce, but there will be two of them):

ncore!

Settler
    Legend
    Another update:

Seeing as the project is already about 50% done (give or take) and I only spent about 60k so far, I don't think donations are necessary at this point (Haven't received any anyway :( ).

The first floor facilities are now 100% complete, but first floor decorations and such will still need added. I am waiting to complete the structure before adding that stuff. I am now working on the third floor which would house the last 8 rooms.

Completed chicken farmer (both eggs and [hopefully] cooked meat):

Fishing zone which supports 3 residents. Hopefully protects players against fishing traps:

One of the two completed melon farms, I am satisfied with this one, as my attempted new design is better than the one I had at my home/base:

External view of the front so far:

A view of the inside first floor, looking up at the second floor balcony. I think I like the overhanging handrails; it gives the walkway above more room.

Edit update (5 hours later):

The top floor is finished with the exception of the room's redstone and decorations. The structure of the building is at around 95% completion, with the only part left to be done is the rear which would house the control/managing room (and a farm outside, but I haven't thought that far ahead yet).

The main hallway now has a vaulted glass ceiling, and the roof is done. All glass on the front of the building is set. What I am working on now is a friendly room 'check out' interface, as will as adding all the bits to the third floor rooms.

Last edited:

ncore!

Settler
    Legend
    The project is now complete!

Here is a screenshot of the interior:

Everything functions as hoped, including the room "check out" button, which uses uniquely named books for room record keeping, which drop into a stream sped up via packed ice and ultimately ends up in a chest in the administrative office.

I almost had my first resident. I assigned him a room but he kept spam clicking the "check out" button and refused to stop. After making a couple trips back and fourth between his room and the office, I decided it wasn't fun anymore so I removed his access to the room.

The new player was somehow wearing diamond armor and demanded he live with a "god" on the server. Hopefully future residents will be more respectful.